Friday, May 31, 2013

Deeply touched by Facebook friends acts of kindness

So, you think Facebook is a waste of time, right? You think Facebook is not the real world, and you are too busy dealing with "real people", in the "real world," to make Facebook friends and talk to them right?
Well, guess what, Facebook is a worthwhile venture, and it's like everything else in life; if you put the time in to make friends, you will make them. It's kind of like the movie, "Field of Dreams", when Kevin Costner's character heard the voice telling him, "If you build it, they will come." Well, it's the same thing with making friends, and having a good time. You can make friends in "real life", and you can utilize a social network like Facebook to make new friends, contact old friends, keep up with friends, or play games like Farmville, or just view what everyone else says. Or you could do what my husband does saying, "I don't have time for stupid Facebook, I've got too much to do." You could even do what a relative of mine said her husband does, by avoiding Facebook altogether by saying, "I don't need Facebook, I have enough friends."
I've always been the kind of person who always wanted to have more friends. I never was the kind of outgoing, vivacious, charismatic type, but with facebook I can talk to all of my friends, complain, make statements, and guess what people actually listen, except for my son, who is too busy to call his mother!
By joining Facebook, I have done just what I set out to do. I made more friends. And along the way lost a few, and de-friended a few too. But, even though I complain, (way too much for my family members), and I complain about Facebook too, I've been deeply touched by two different things that happened on Facebook. One was the more regular members of Facebook wishing me happy birthday, (by the way----February 11). Having moved to a new town and staying home to write, it made me feel extraoridinailly awesome that day when about, oh I don't know about 100 of my almost 200 Facebook friends wished me happy birthday all day long. I felt kind of like a rock star must feel for one dreary winter day.
Then, just the other day, I asked my Facebook friends to wish my mom a happy birthday. She turned 84, and I couldn't be there to wish her a happy birthday in person due to living 200 miles away, and my husband having bronchitis. Sure, I guess I could have driven for four hours, spent the night, and driven home the next day, but after having a stroke, it is a scary thought for me to drive for longer than an hour.
Well, the most amazing thing happened, about nine all too unselfish people wished my mom a happy birthday. It was awesome. This made my mom feel really good, and made me feel like there are decent people out there in the real world.
I am deeply touched, and just wanted to thank all nine of you, for saying Happy Birthday to my mom. (All except for my 20 year old son, who is too busy to say Happy birthday to his relatives.)
So, thank you Facebook friends for extending your best wishes to my mom on her birthday!Copyright(c) 2012, written by Kate Johns a freelance author since 2004.

No comments: